What's Wrong With Being Different?



What's Wrong With Being Different?

It’s easy to stay focused on the negative aspects of being different. Thinking of the negatives about your situation is the natural response. However, dwelling on the negative is usually harmful to your mental health and well-being.  Instead, try to see the positives of being different and focus on these things; you’ll notice a drastic difference in your outlook on life.
There are many advantages of being different mentioned by those whom we interviewed with a variety of differences. I asked everyone in the study to list several benefits of being different and I chose the most frequently mentioned elements for each category. I list just a few of the benefits from each category here in this post.
Let’s start with the one closest to my heart: being a short male. If you are tall, you may want to skip this section just like the short people may want to skip the section for tall people. Again, these replies are taken verbatim from interviews with people in each category. 

Advantages of Being a Short Male


  • "Legroom on an airplane or bus is never a problem for me."
  • "I never have to worry about hitting my head on things like chandeliers."
  • "I often look younger (which becomes an especially good thing as I age)."
  •  "People feel less threatened by me."
·

Advantages of Being a Tall Woman
  • "I have athletic advantages."
  • "I can see over the heads of many other people in a crowd."
  • "I stand out."
  • "I can walk faster because I have longer legs."

Advantages of Being a Different Race/Ethnicity

  • "It’s great to feel unique in a homogenous society."
  • "It’s great to have tan skin."
  • "I can connect with people who speak my language."
  • "I stand out in a crowd."

Advantages of Being Underweight


  • "I can fit into clothes in the kids section and the junior's department, which doubles my selection!"
  • "Weighing less makes it easier to participate in sports and physical activities."
  • "I can fit through narrow spaces."
  • "I can stick my arm down the sink to get stuff out of the garbage disposal."
 
Advantages of Being Overweight


  • "More to love!"
  • "People view me as being loveable."
  • "People like me to give them tight hugs."
  • "People view me as a protector."


 º º º º º º º º º º º

Credits 
 The article was posted by: Nathaniel Lambert
 Original title: The Many Advantages of Being Different



9 comentários:

Bruno disse...

It’s good to be diferent. You’re noticed by everyone. You’re the center of attention. It rocks!

Unknown disse...

Quem não nasceu diferente, gosta de se fazer diferente. Hoje temos pessoas com cabelo verde, rosa, azul, tatuagens sobre todo o corpo, piercings, etc. Elas querem ser diferentes e ponto!

Unknown disse...

Gostei das vantagens de ser baixinho... Usufruo delas mas nunca tinha visto escrito. Kkkkk

Unknown disse...

Concordo com o leitor acima: ninguém acerta a idade que tenho, porque sou baixinho. Pelo menos essa vantagem eu levo, né?

Unknown disse...

OK gente! Entendo essas vantagens. Mas, ainda não sei lidar com minha altura. Sou alta demais e não me sinto bem junto com minhas amigas que têm todas estatura mediana. Eu sofro com isso.

Unknown disse...

Eu uso minha altura para ganhar dinheiro: sou jogador de basketball. Vamos tirar vantagem da diferença.

Unknown disse...

Somos todos iguais independentemente da cor da pele. Racismo é coisa do passado e hoje podemos ver até um negro ser eleito presidente dos Estados Unidos.

Teresa Martins disse...
Este comentário foi removido pelo autor.
Teresa Martins disse...

Bem divertido e muito útil esse artigo. Coloca “pra cima” as pessoas que não sabem lidar com essas diferenças. Estou aprendendo....

Recent Posts

http://www.add-digital.com.br/blog/como-usar-o-mp3-player-do-google-em-seu-site/ -Player do google para site

Wikipedia

Resultados da pesquisa